Leslie Clemmer served aboard the aircraft carrier USS Intrepid (CV-11) for the ship's commissioning in August 1943 through October 1945. He signed up for V12 officer training, and his first assignment aboard Intrepid was in the gunnery department. He later served as the ship's signal officer. He is quoted in the May 1945 issue of the Intrepid newspaper on pages 9-10.
According to a letter from Mr. Clemmer,
"Lt./JG Clemmer, Leslie C. U.S. Intrepid, CV-11 Signal Officer. Plank Owner. Aug. 1943- Oct. 1945. Entire navy service on Intrepid.
Info. I was the signal officer of the USS Intrepid 1943-1945. During World War II, I spent my naval career on the USS Intrepid.
I along with 16 other football players of San Diego State College 1941-1943 called in to be told by the Dean of Men that we were now in the US Navy. We all signed up for V12 Officers training. We were sent to Northwestern University, for training. That was in APril 1943. Around Aug. 1st we were commissioned as Ensigns. At that time I was ordered to report in 10 days to the Intrepid at Newport News. I am a plank owner.
My first assignment was to the gunnery department. My battle assignment was gun tub 12, 40 mm guns. When we were hit by the torpedo in the Battle of Truk Island, we were ordered to go to San Francisco. At San Francisco, I was assigned to the duty of Signal Officer. I was the signal officer until I was ordered by Burpers to the USA. I took 10 days leave and by that time i had enough points to be released for inactive duty. I was the first officer in the 11th Naval district to be released.
I hope you can read this. At 95, I am not too sharp as a typist".
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
The Leslie Clemmer papers consists of documents from his service onboard the Intrepid, including a roster of officers, an engagement list, and a magazine clipping about Ulithi, which Intrepid visited.
- Digital Record 1
- Collection 1
- Air Department -- V-2 Division 1
- Communication Artifacts -- Documentary Artifacts -- Graphic Documents -- Cartoon 1
- Communication Artifacts -- Documentary Artifacts -- Other Documents -- Clipping -- Clipping, Newspaper 1
- Communication Artifacts -- Documentary Artifacts -- Other Documents -- List -- Roster 1
- Communication Artifacts -- Documentary Artifacts -- Other Documents -- Serial -- Newspaper 1
- Federated States of Micronesia (nation) -- Yap (state) -- Ulithi (atoll) 1
- Gunnery -- Antiaircraft Gunnery 1
- Intrepid -- second deck -- library 1
- Japan (nation) -- Kanto (region (administrative division)) -- Tōkyō (metropolis) -- Tokyo (inhabited place) 1
- Japan (nation) -- Okinawa (region (administrative region)) -- Okinawa (prefecture) -- Okinawa-shoto (island group) -- Okinawa-Jima (island) 1
- Official Personnel -- Chaplains 1
- Recreation -- Sports -- Baseball 1
- World War II, December 1941–September 1945 1 ∧ less