- Existence: June 25, 1924 - December 29, 2018
James Smith, from Chattanooga, Tennessee, served aboard the aircraft carrier USS Intrepid (CV-11) during World War II, from 1943 to 1946, and was a seaman first class stationed as a first loader on a 40mm gun. While aboard Intrepid, Smith experienced the torpedo hit at Truk and multiple kamikaze attacks, as well as the normal routine of life aboard ship. After his time in the Navy, Smith began a number of different business endeavors including owning and operating automotive service centers, a store, and a farm.
- Start Date of Military Service
- August 16, 1943
- Start Date of Service Aboard Intrepid
- February 1946
- End Date of Service Aboard Intrepid
- End Date of Military Service